People need to be aware of the many dangers lurking online and one of the biggest threats out there is identity theft through phishing, a type of online scam in which perpetrators send fake emails or texts pretending to be from a legitimate company or government agency in an attempt to trick people into revealing sensitive information. Protect yourself from phishing scams today:
Cyber attacks and social engineering are two major threats that you should be on the lookout for, as they can be extremely sophisticated and hard to detect. Cyberattacks are exactly what they sound like – attacks on computer systems and networks with the goal of stealing sensitive information or disrupting services. These attacks can come in many forms, such as malware, ransomware, and phishing scams.
But don’t just take my word for it – the numbers don’t lie. According to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), identity theft was the top consumer complaint in 2020, with over 450,000 reports of phishing scams. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg – it’s estimated that only a small fraction of phishing attacks are actually reported.
So, what can you do to protect yourself from these crafty criminals?
Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Be wary of emails or texts that request personal information or ask you to click on a link or download an attachment.
- Always verify the authenticity of an email or text before responding or taking any action.
- Use strong and unique passwords for all of your accounts, and enable two-factor authentication whenever possible.
- Avoid using public Wi-Fi networks to access sensitive information.
- Install and regularly update antivirus software on all of your devices.
By following these tips and being vigilant, you can help protect yourself and your business from identity theft through phishing and other online scams. Don’t let those scammers get the best of you – stay one step ahead and keep your personal information safe!